Monday, September 28, 2009

What the World Eats.


                  http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373680,00.html
                   This photo essay is fascinating!  When I showed this to my sister she was shocked at the gross amount of food the average American family consumes in one week.  The American family's kitchen is filled with stacks of chips, pizza, meat, soda, canned food etc.  Compare that with the family from Chad.  They only have a few sacks of grain and a jug of water for a week of food.  They spend about $1.23 a week on a week's amount of food.
                   The American obsession with consumerism disgusts me.  I live in one of the most affluent areas of the United States.  Everyone is "Keeping up with the Joneses" and attempting to outdo everyone else by buying more things they don't need.  Maybe if, instead of wasting my money on things I don't need, I could set aside some to give to someone else.  Mweh.  I'm getting all preachy, so i'll stop. :p
                   Besides that, the different kinds of food people eat all over the world is interesting.  I want to travel all over and see how they live, taste what they cook, blehblehbleh!  And for no particular reason. Mostly just because I have this urge to gather as much information as I can.  Anyway, a very horrible start for a first blog post.  I need to cut back on the rambling and maybe actually READ what I write.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments are unfair, I think... the family from California wasn't that much. $151 for a normal, average amount of food. And if you compared the American family to the family in Europe who was spending $500!!! a week on food for 4 people!??!!? O_O!!! Way worse than the black American family with the two pizzas. I want to know two things: 1) Why was the Tingo family living in what looked like a drainage sewer? and 2) How on earth did that family spend $5 on food??? They had a normal amount of food - a massive bag of rice, etc. The poor African family spend $2 on food and they had a very small amount. That made since. What's with that $5 family with the awesome Asian-ish house?? :P

    I think this photo essay shows less that "omg Americans spend so much on food!! We live in luxury!!!" and more that around the world, there are some countries who are poor and have nothing, and there are others that have tons. It's not Americans vs. the Poor Countries. The British family had TONS of food for TONS of money... they had a massive pile of candy in the front of theirs. And so many jugs of milk! haha... I don't remember which family it was that ... oh! the Mexican family? Who had like tons of fruits and vegetables, but a row of like 10 2 liter bottles of Coca-Cola?!? What is that? XD!!! Hahaha... :P

    I thought the Americans, besides the one with the pizza, were not that bad at all. Pretty much normal, I would think... and speaking of the Two-Pizza Family... how on earth were they not FAT? They were normal! Do they just work out TONS!?!?!? The fattest family was the Mexicans with their fruit-and-cola, but Hispanic families tend to be overweight in general, it's genetic. I don't think it's their coca-cola addiction, haha.

    But yeah.

    -Jesse

    ReplyDelete